6.9.04

About the dog


Who: Edward
What: Mini dachshund
Born: October 2003; Japan

Mom: Ruddy (bottom left picture)
Dad: Ryu

Loves: Girls, especially girly girls; high-pitched cries of "ka-wa-iiii!" (translation: "How cuuuute!" in Japanese) and the tippy-tap of high heels are two sounds guaranteed to spur Edward into his Look-at-Me-Love-Me routine, which essentially involves lots of wriggling, prancing, and self-degradation.

Hates: Cats, because of an early puppyhood encounter during which my mother-in-law's cat suddenly exploded into furious screeching at their close proximity, catching Edward by surprise and causing him to pee on himself--who wouldn't be a little resentful?

Personality: Gentle and good-natured, which his humans cruelly take advantage of by dressing and posing him for pictures such as the ones below:


Edward the Peasant Woman


Edward the Overgrown Superhero


Edward the Bear Rug

Strengths: Although girls are his favorite, Edward pretty much loves everybody. He's a happy, friendly pup who will wag his tail and skip over to anyone that accidentally glances his way.

Weaknesses: Girls, of course; also, plastic soda bottles (he enjoys pulverizing them with his teeth) and dogs who either want to tear him apart or lick his crotch.

Unhealthy Dependency on:

-His stuffed toys--all of whom happen to go by their French names because one of his first toys (featured in above picture) had L'Autobus stitched on its side, and things quickly got out of control after that: L'Elephant, Lapin, Le Clover. (No, "clover" is not French, but we did not even want to attempt: "Where's Le Trèfle? Go find Le Trèfle." So by Le Clover, it became apparent that a tradition had been established that would not be dismissed.)

-His humans--who are not allowed to go anywhere, not even the bathroom, without their loyal sentinel standing guard at the door or preferably with said sentinel huddled awkwardly against the toilet-goer's leg.

Embarrassing Facts:
-Not the finest example of animal grace, Edward occassionally trips over his own feet and has been known to smash into walls when racing around while looking gleefully over his shoulder.
-Is scared of cockroaches, cicadas, and other bugs.

Unfortunate Traits:
-Compulsive stalker and starer (will NOT let you out of his sight)
-Severely bad breath and sometimes stinky feet too

« Home | previous post: About the girl » | previous post: Hi! (My first post...) » | previous post: [ newfound ] » | previous post: [ gallery ] » | previous post: [ noteworthy ] » | previous post: [ projects ] » | previous post: [ nothing specific ] » | previous post: [ japanese-y ] » | previous post: [ food ] » | previous post: [ out and about ] »

18 Comments:

I LOVE your blog! Edward is adorable and has single-handedly (or pawedly) convinced me to go smaller once my last 80+ dog goes quietly. Did you design your blog yourself or did you have help? 

- Terri V

1/24/2005 01:06:00 PM  

Hi Terri, thank you so much for stopping by! And I'm glad you like my blog and my pup. I gotta say that a small dog is really great in so many ways: they eat less, they're easier to cuddle, they're portable (I take Edward on the Japanese train system all the time).

As for this blog, I pretty much just used one of the templates that Blogger.com provides, and then I fiddled a bit with the colors and added things to the sidebar. Do you have your own blog?


 

- Rachel

1/24/2005 02:50:00 PM  

Aiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! Kawaiiiiiiiiiiiiii! :))) He's adorable!!! Good lord..... ! :D 

- Samantha

2/11/2005 10:31:00 PM  

how did you find a place that lets you keep dogs in Japan? I have heard it is so difficult! Your dog is v. cute: he looks very alert. 

from isabel

3/13/2005 11:44:00 AM  

Hi isabel! It's true, we definitely did not have an easy time finding an apartment. It's not that there aren't places, but they tend to be places you would never choose if it weren't for their pet-friendly policy. We searched forever and were *so* thankful when we finally found the place we're at now.

Edward *is* very sharp...about some things. He watches peoples' faces all the time and when we go on walks, he instantly knows when a person is looking his way. I could be imagining it but he also seems to know, just by the way I look at him, whether I'm happy or mad with him.  

from Rachel

3/14/2005 10:11:00 PM  

Wonderful blog! I had to tell you how beautiful Edward is. He's such a cutie!  

from Amy

3/17/2005 11:49:00 AM  

Hi Amy, thanks so much! Yeah, considering the Edward Pages seem to get the most rave reviews, I'm thinking I should just change this whole blog and make it entirely about him.  

from Rachel

3/17/2005 12:52:00 PM  

Hi Rachel - I got here via Lynn's site and I *had to* leave a comment. Edward is such a sweetie! かわいい!I can't believe your pictures were taken with phone camera, they are really beautiful. (I guess you are very good and also mobile phones in Japan are better than here...) Did you read my post about brown bread ice cream? I've made it at cookery course a couple of weeks ago and I loved it! 

from keiko

3/24/2005 11:21:00 PM  

Hi Keiko! Coming from a real photographer like yourself, I'm feeling flustered (and utterly pleased) by your compliment. Yes, I read that post on brown bread ice cream and was thrilled--would have loved to see a photograph!

 

from Rachel

3/25/2005 11:22:00 AM  

Oh, how cute he is! I have a dachsie myself - black and brown, long haired. They are such funny creatures, especially when they walk or run. :) 

from Dreska

4/13/2005 11:52:00 PM  

Hey Dreska, would love to see pictures of your own dachshund on your blog! 

from Rachel

4/16/2005 01:50:00 PM  

u ppl r strange!  

from torz

6/30/2005 10:00:00 PM  

I followed the link from brown bread, this is a very good bio.
 

from chef 'em out

7/05/2005 12:00:00 AM  

Dunno when (of even if) you'll see this comment, but I just HAD to say hi! And also that I love your bog - never laughed so much in ages, honest. And as for Edward - kawaiiiiiiiii!!! (i have a friend called Kawai and he's pretty cute too, although not as much as Ed).  

from shammi

8/20/2005 07:14:00 PM  

Oh yikes... BLOG, not bog. I love your BLOG! (damn typos)... :)

8/20/2005 07:16:00 PM  

Hi Shammi! Yes, I saw your comment. I have the power to see all comments (well, actually, I get this nifty email notification). Thanks so much for stopping by. Edward the ham will surely appreciate the compliments.  

from Rachel

8/21/2005 09:00:00 AM  

Hi, Where can I contact other people for a recommendation for a cookery course? I'm trying this site (cookery course). Where else could I try
Many thanks

12/19/2005 08:05:00 AM  

Hi jj,
Sorry, just to clarify: are you trying to recommend a class or are you looking for recommendations? 

from Rachel

12/24/2005 04:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment