6.9.04

About the girl

Who: Rachel

Where: Temporarily California, then back to Japan

Why brown bread ice cream: The truth is I've always been terrible at naming things--toys, school papers, pets, blogs, children (someday).... I just randomly chose a name I knew no one else would have taken for their own blog yet. Yeah, that's the full explanation.

What's with the string of city names under the main title: The first city in the list, Singapore, is where my life began. The last, Tokyo, is where I am now. And although there have been a lot more cities in between, Vancouver and Des Moines were two places that I stayed for a decent amount of time and that possibly contributed toward forming the person I am now. So this list is kind of a geographical connect-the-dots that I link together to answer the question "Where are you from?" (gee, I love being asked that), since I don't really consider any one particular place to be "home." Update: I took down the list. It was getting too long.

Do you fancy yourself a good cook: Definitely not. In fact, I don't really enjoy cooking unless it's a special occasion where I get to splurge on good ingredients and I'm preparing the food for someone other than myself.

I do like baking. I'm just not a perfect baker. In this blog, I sometimes will record my baking mishaps as well as the rare occasions I succeed, which is exactly why it should be read. You don't need another smug Martha Stewart replacer who is infallible! The pros are always telling you "Do this" and "DON'T EVER do that," but you never get to see the whys behind their bossy orders. Here, you will find out exactly what happens when you don't follow instructions or think everything will be fine if you completely change a recipe, sometimes with the aid of shocking photographic coverage. You won't ever need to be a walking calamity in the kitchen because I will be that calamity for you. You can see for yourself what can go wrong and tell yourself sternly, "I will definitely not do that." And when I do manage to pull something off, we will sigh in companionable relief.

Just let me see your Blogger profile already: Sigh, okay.

« Home | previous post: Hi! (My first post...) » | previous post: [ newfound ] » | previous post: [ gallery ] » | previous post: [ noteworthy ] » | previous post: [ projects ] » | previous post: [ nothing specific ] » | previous post: [ japanese-y ] » | previous post: [ food ] » | previous post: [ out and about ] »

18 Comments:

Ditto the mushy rice. Maybe the timer of their industrial sized ricemaker broke down, my company's cafeteria has beeb turning out mushy rice for weeks now. I can't stand to eat it, so most of it ends in trash, and i have to run out at 3pm to buy おやつ. it's the beginning of a slippery road to obesity!

10/18/2004 04:49:00 PM  

Lynn, you said it. I am too well acquainted with the Oyatsu (Japanese for snack) Syndrome, and it is indeed a dangerous, downhill road. I seemed to have curbed it a bit, but there was a time that I almost literally had a dinging bell going off in my head at around 4pm in the afternoon and I would find myself ravenous.

I'm horrified to hear a Japanese cafeteria is putting out mushy rice. I've never known a people who love their plain white rice so well. You would think there would be rioting.

10/18/2004 10:26:00 PM  

I'm just wondering where Singapore, Vancouver, Des Moines and Tokyo fit into this blog.

Dan 

- Dan

12/23/2004 02:11:00 PM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12/23/2004 04:40:00 PM  

Oh shoot, I accidentally deleted my previous comment. Okay, it essentially said:

Hi Dan,
A valid question. I guess some people might look at the list of cities and expect a travel blog of sorts.
When I first started this blog, I did hope to write a bit about each place that was once my home, but considering I have a hard time posting even about simple, day-to-day life events, I'm afraid I just haven't gotten around to everything I intended.  

- Rachel

12/27/2004 10:51:00 PM  

Hi Rachel, thanks for visiting my blog! You're one of those overseas cosmopolitan Singaporeans I see!! :) Do they have a Singapore club in Tokyo? Do they have Singaporeans food in Tokyo???

Anyway, jus to answer abt the pregnancy,... I think that I WILL be eating more but probably cooking less... since am feeling rather nauseous and tired all the time... :)

We'll see how it goes! Keep up the good work with your blog!! 

- spots

1/14/2005 07:58:00 PM  

Hey Spots--may I call you Spots?--glad you dropped by!

Cosmopolitan? No way! I just happened to make some pretty dumb choices throughout my life that had me moving around a lot. But then I met a really nice boy and followed him to Tokyo, and that's the end of the story. For now...

I think they do have a Singapore Club, but I'm not a member because you have to pay money--ahhhh, money. Grin.

I believe there are a couple (literally) of Singaporean restaurants in Tokyo, but I don't think they're any good. Plus, it's painful to have to pay something like S$15 for a plate of chicken rice. I just can't do it.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great. Don't worry, it'll pass. And then you'll be your old self again!

Feel free to stop by any time! 

- Rachel

1/15/2005 12:34:00 AM  

I just want to say yours is my favorite blog site!!!

BIG question: How do you get to organize your content by theme? Blogger says they can't do it, but I notice that your header says yours is a "Blogger" site.

I'm just a baby blogger (started my first - and only - on May 20th.) I have no clue as to how to link postings by type the way you did under "Contents". Do you have any suggestions for a very illiterate blogger? I'm patting myself on the back just because I can include a photo into a post, editing in html and am able to remove the Hello icon.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Ruth - the baby blogger 

from Ruth

6/13/2005 05:05:00 AM  

Hi Ruth! Wow, I can't believe brown bread ice cream is somebody's favorite blog--sniff, I'm touched and thrilled.

Okay, good question. No, you can't do categories with Blogger, which has been the source of much anger and whining among us blogspotters. It does kind of suck. Anyhow, what I did was to use regular post pages as "category" pages--does that make sense? This means that every time you write a new post, you have to add the link manually to your homemade category page. Could be a pain, but if you do it right from the start, it's not so bad--and you being a baby blogger rather works in your favor here.

If you don't understand what I mean, ask away!  

from Rachel

6/14/2005 09:48:00 PM  

Thanks so much for the insight. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes. 

from Ruth

6/15/2005 09:59:00 AM  

Hi Rachel,
I followed your advice about creating categories and now at least I have links by theme but I still can't hide them behind the title like you do.

http://onceuponafeast.blogspot.com/

What else do I have to do? The way I have it set up now, means a lot of scrolling down the side - not neat, clean and crisp like yours.

6/27/2005 05:22:00 PM  

Hi Ruth!

Let me go over to your blog and take a look.

Rachel 

from Rachel

6/27/2005 06:59:00 PM  

Did you know that in American cuisine there actually was a brown bread ice cream?

I'll look into some of my references and let you know where/how it happened. 

from kudzu

7/15/2005 12:55:00 PM  

Hi kudzu,

I don't know the history of brown bread ice cream, but it does seem to be an English recipe, so I guess it's possible the recipe was brought over by an English...settler? Did settlers eat ice cream?  

from Rachel

7/19/2005 12:14:00 PM  

I was wondering if you could maybe help me out a bit. I am trying  to improve my site a bit but am still learning. Can you tell me how you set up the links to go to another part of your page? for instance, "gallery", "Japanese-y", etc? 

from Becky

7/29/2005 01:32:00 AM  

Hi Becky,
I could try to explain, but I'd probably do a really bad job of it. The Blogger help page will tell you exactly how to do this (http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=110&query=links&topic=0&type=f). Give it a go, and if you're confused or have questions, come back over here and ask me. 

from Rachel

7/29/2005 02:43:00 AM  

Just let me see your Blogger profile already: Sigh, okay

7/24/2008 05:36:00 AM  

you have had expected. Very little man in Kiev. Tight as a total lack of my Bron-y-aur!! She defintiely has Ukrainian girls are plain average teen anal video

7/01/2009 10:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment