26.10.04

Only the Rich May Eat Iceberg

I was in the supermarket yesterday when I noticed the price for a head of iceberg lettuce: 600 yen, for the love of god (sorry, folks, no conversion service on this blog, but if you're really curious, you can find out easily here.

Isn't that a little overly optimistic? Who wants iceberg that badly?

I read that the price of lettuce has gone up due to the recent string of typhoons. I wonder if the prices of all vegetables have been likewise affected because everything is so damn expensive these days.

« Home | previous post: Slightly Shaken » | previous post: Oh Jeez, Not Another One » | previous post: A Bright Spot In Yesterday's Downpour » | previous post: Puffy Buns -- Oh Yeah! » | previous post: Smelly Pancakes and Supermarket Music » | previous post: Cheesy Quickbread » | previous post: Look What the Typhoon Churned Up » | previous post: Something Really Nice Happened » | previous post: Look What I Found » | previous post: Gah -- My Heart! My Bread! »

7 Comments:

Yes, I saw on TV last week that the wholesale price of lettuce has risen four times compared to pre-typhoon. The way they said it, we can expect widespread price hike in all vegis. I bet besides supply and demand, greed also played a roll in this. A perfect chance for stores to raise price! 

- Lynn

10/26/2004 12:56:00 PM  

Those bastards. How dare they take advantage of our need for vitamins and fiber.

This is exactly like Golden Week and how they exploit the vacation-starved people of Japan, forcing them to pay triple the ordinary fare.

Will be stocking up on frozen veggies, I think.  

- Rachel

10/26/2004 08:44:00 PM  

Hm. That's why my lettuce wasn't delivered with the rest of my groceries today. All I got was a slip of paper in Japanese, of which I could just about decipher "lettuce", "typhoon" and "rot".

Yep, frozen veg is the way to go. 

- Hsin

10/26/2004 09:34:00 PM  

More bad news for lettuce lovers.

An official of Kansai Super Market Ltd. said these lettuce prices might stay up as long as February! 

- Rachel

10/27/2004 01:59:00 AM  

Guess what? Peacock is selling them by halves. 400yen for half a lettuce! Highway robbery! 

- Lynn

10/29/2004 09:44:00 AM  

You may love this.
club apk

9/28/2019 08:23:00 PM  

Oh my god You Don't Know this App Shellshock Scanner Apk Godzilla Apk

10/15/2020 09:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment