27.5.05

For Your Amusement

Work has been picking up again, and I shouldn't be blogging right now. Hell, I shouldn't have blogged this entire week. Thus, rather than spewing today's mess of thoughts onto the screen, instead I offer you a little Web basket of assorted goodies:

BooksFree
Warning: For US residents only damn it!
Yeah, as if having entire libraries of English books wasn't enough, you damn Americans now get BooksFree as well. Arrrrr [brief pause for jealous teeth gnashing]. I recently learned about this wonderful (but utterly selfish and exclusive) book-rental service that torments me with its humongous selection.

Who Links to Me ("For the Ultimate Narcissist in You")
You're not narcissistic, you just want to know who's reading you, loving you, linking you, you, you!

kitchenmage
A welcome new addition to the food blogging world, not only does kitchenmage know her way around the kitchen (and herb garden), she's an honest-to-god writer [girly squeal], and one with a distinct, funny voice, to boot. Bonus tracks: a category just for bread, a cute cat, and insights into life in "evenTinierTown," Washington.

Manolo's Shoe Blog
I never thought there'd come a day I'd tolerate a person writing about him/herself in the third person, much less enjoy it. But the playful, and sometimes snarky, pseudo-European tone of "the Manolo" (no connection to the designer) has somehow won me over. I don't even like shoe shopping, let alone reading about shoes--the Manolo does address other issues, often of the mockworthy celebrity variety--but his fashion posts (accompanied by big, colorful photos) tend to be brief and surprisingly fun. I may be an Old Navy girl, but that doesn't mean I can't admire a pretty red Prada dress or giggle at the reviews for The Gallery of The Horrors.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

« Home | previous post: Removing Melted Plastic » | previous post: Lilly Pads » | previous post: A Rape Victim Who Became a Hero » | previous post: I Don't Think I Can Think of a Title for This One » | previous post: Amy's Rustic Italian Bread » | previous post: » | previous post: Cutting My Own Bangs » | previous post: Quote of the Day » | previous post: Five Ways To Become a Social Outcast in Japan » | previous post: New Man on the Block »

8 Comments:

I've never posted here before. In fact, I've never posted anywhere, but today something is on my mind. It really has nothing to do with your blog - just thoughts for a potentially sympathetic audience. Here goes...
My husband said yesterday that he heard that we were at the end of the information age - and I had 2 thoughts in conjunction - "Good" and "What does that mean?" I'm tired of being overwhelmed with information, but I don't understand how we can be at the end of the age - we're obviously not out of information. So what does it mean? What age are we entering? What age was before this one? Who decides what age we're in - leaving - entering? It makes me feel like even more of an under-achiever - if that's possible. Why can't I be the one to make these proclamations? "Citizens, we are now entering a new Age of Humanity. We have been gathering information throughout this past Age - and now we are actually going to use it."  What do you think? If I post it out on my very own blog, will everyone listen and give me credit for it? Will everyone participate and start acting in a way to promote this new Age? In other words, will everyone start acting 'human'? 

from silent_minority

6/01/2005 03:44:00 PM  

Hi there,

I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to post your thoughts and concerns--although I can't help feeling slightly chragined that my blog probably doesn't do much to lessen your feeling of being overwhelmed with overexcessive information.

I don't know what your husband meant either, but I don't think his opinion is necessarily the official one. You should definitely start your own blog and make your own authoritative declarations. I'm already curious as to what information you think we've got but aren't using.

I can't guarantee that your words of wisdom will convince the world to start "acting human." But try anyway.
 

from Rachel

6/03/2005 02:29:00 AM  

Gee, I was just going to be complimented that I got a "girly squeal" and then it got all deep in here. :-)

Silent Minority, I think that which age "we" are in depends on which "we" is under discussion. Consider that the "we" represented by folks around me (NW USA) is not so much like the "we" of poor Chinese people, or that represented in the article Rachel posted about Sharia law. One of those groups is teetering on the brink of the "information age" while another is fighting it with all they have.

And is it really an "information age" anyway? We had information before computers; they certainly didn't create information. Computers simply make it easier to manipulate information. What we didn't have before the "information age" was machine augmented storage, sorting, correlation, and analysis of information.

So maybe we should call it the "understanding age" or the "data age"--since we seem to have a plethora of data, yet little understanding.

btw, Rachel...bagels  :-) 

from kitchenmage

6/03/2005 06:47:00 PM  

Bagels? I'll be right over! 

from Rachel

6/07/2005 02:16:00 AM  

Hey Rachel,

Love your blog! Googled "Singaporeans in Tokyo" and popped in here. Don't ask why I googled what I did 'coz it requires me to be completely shameless and my strategy is still half-baked ;) BUT what a treat to read your blog. It's hilarious, insightful and full of the inner chatter/complaints someone needs to pen down. You did. I'm still struggling on what it means to blog and not tear my hair out at all the technical don't-know-hows!

I almost died laughing at Manolo's Shoe Blogs Horror Gallery.  

from good girl

1/22/2006 04:45:00 AM  

Hi good girl,

I'm always happy (and rather relieved) to hear someone enjoys my blog because, to be honest, I'm not the most dedicated blogger and things have the tendency to get downright stagnant around here.

I guess I'll have to ask why you Googled "Singaporeans in Tokyo" since I'm a big fan of people who are shameless and full of half-baked ideas--like calling to like and all that, I guess.

You never gave a link to your own blog, by the way. Do share.

PS: I know, Manolo's shoe horror gallery cracked me up as well.
 

from Rachel

1/23/2006 11:02:00 PM  

Hey Rachel,

lol! Yes, shameless is good. The world could do with more shameless people who bury the practical and go to battle for just that whiff of adventure. Half-baked ideas a MUST. They provide impetus without heavy vetting. When in doubt, do NOT think. I have to admit, however, I have yet to change the world with this brand of ideology. Disclaimer :)

Anyway, the above URL is my new blog and this below is a little home for old posts from blogs that died; Death by Neglect.

http://postcardsfrombefore.blogspot.com

~ good girl ~

PS Shameless shall see me hop once again on NW05 to Narita. With half-baked idea. And a suitcase full of WHAT IF, MAYBE CAN, SHIT WHO CARES? Oh, and a pair or two of killer stilettos. 

from ~ good girl ~

1/26/2006 05:32:00 AM  

hey rachel,

came across the below link and it reminded me of manolo blog's irreverence. thought you might dig the humour.

http://www.verysuccessfulbrandmanager.com/index2.php

GG 

from ~ good girl ~

3/23/2006 05:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment