2.11.05

That Magic Lid

So today I tried making my Near Perfect Pancake recipe, using the lid trick--okay, it's really not a "trick" per se; it's more like lid... usage?--the idea of which came from the Japanese hot cake recipe I posted about, down below somewhere. And... it worked! It worked nicely! I wouldn't go so far as to remove the "Near," but my near-perfect pancakes were lighter and flouffier than they've ever been. I was a happy girl. I had to adjust the heat to medium-lowish though, so that the cake had time to rise under the lid without getting scorched. This means it took a few minutes longer than it usually does. But all's good when pancakes puff prettily.

So now I bid you all to go dig out your favorite pancake recipe and--get this--try cooking it in a pan... with a lid! Though, really, I cannot guarantee results for all, so you'd be best off using my pancake recipe, which you'll have to search for yourselves because I'm really too busy to be adding hyperlinks and whatnot. I really have to go. Oh, I forgot to add that I also sifted the flour this time--something I never did before but is actually ridiculously easy when you're only sifting 6 tablespoons.

Oh, PS: The bloody fleas are back! On Edward, that is. My husband took him for a walk the other day and somehow ended up at The Golden Kingdom of the Flea Universe--i.e., my in-law's house (anyone puzzled will have to seek out the post "Much Ado About Fleas"). When I found out, of course the first thing I shrieked was "Fleas!" but he was all, "Tsk, it was only five minutes." Yeah, well, yesterday, what do you know? Little happy black critters skittering and skipping about on my puppy's belly and me going nuts, busy as hell, needing to catch the train to the office, but having to through through all that mad vacuuming and toxic fumigations... I hate to sound like a bad commercial but "Five minutes is all it takes, people." You know the worst part? Walking a flea-ridden dog. I mean, you don't want to come across as unfriendly, when you meet other dogs. But you hardly want to admit the truth of why you are so meanly dragging your dog away before crotches can be sniffed and fleas transferred. I mean, if you had a human child, would you announce to the world that it had lice? It doesn't matter if it was a one-off thing or that the child was promptly treated. You can bet your panty-shields that no mother is going to let their kids play with your cooty-ful offspring henceforth. Okay, I *really* have to go now.

« Home | previous post: A Villain's Soliloquy » | previous post: Japanese Hot Cakes » | previous post: What Became of the Bird? » | previous post: Cruel Nature » | previous post: How to Dress for a Japanese Funeral » | previous post: Catching Up » | previous post: Disappearing Act » | previous post: Steady, Old Boy - Picture Yourself in a Nice Meado... » | previous post: Have I Unlocked the Secret of the Universe? » | previous post: »

6 Comments:

Fleas are rubbish...could you not put a flea collar on him? He's only little and you get some very dapper flea collars nowadays.

11/03/2005 10:04:00 PM  

Hi Pootlecat!

Do you mean, use a flea collar year-round?  

from Anonymous

11/07/2005 12:54:00 PM  

yeah you could do, my cats always have a flea collar on! (maybe I'm a freak though!)

11/08/2005 07:59:00 AM  

You're not a freak! You're wise. And probably don't get visitations from fleas.  

from Rachel

11/09/2005 10:25:00 PM  

nope, no fleas for us! just some very dandy cats! sorry to hear about your cold...I've just emerged from the flu...i hope your cold doesn't develop. being ill stinks!!

11/20/2005 11:53:00 PM  

Thanks, Pootlecat! 

from Rachel

11/24/2005 11:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment