29.12.04

Blue Christmas



Woke up to the first snowfall this year. Might also be the last, since snow isn't common in Tokyo.

Sorry for the weird blue tinge of the photo--I think my cell phone was rebelling.


Camera: "Everything's too damn white!"

This was Edward's first snow too. He seemed balky at first--but then he always is when encased in his ugly rain jacket. I don't ordinarily dress my dog up. But with legs that short, you kind of have to realize he'd be plowing the snow with his belly the entire walk, poor thing. When he finally stopped sniffing every square inch of ground, he kind of got into the spirit of things: jauncing about, snatching up mouthfuls of dirty snow.

I seemed to have forgotten the proper protective accessories for a stroll through a flurry. Everyone else was walking with an umbrella. Is that weird? For some reason, walking in the snow with an umbrella is something I don't recall ever doing. Edward and I were both shivering (only I was soggy) as we eventually raced home.

I need to go out and do things but the mere thought of sliding my legs into an icy pair of jeans and stepping out into that wet, freezing darkness is keeping my butt firmly pressed to the chair. If I lived in Alaska, I think I'd be agoraphobic.

« Home | previous post: I Invented Something! » | previous post: Kindness of Strangers » | previous post: Somber Announcement » | previous post: » | previous post: Edward & Mr. Donut » | previous post: Hua Hin » | previous post: Vancouver - It's Been a Long Time » | previous post: Okara Donut » | previous post: So Far So Good » | previous post: Neighborhood Tree »

6 Comments:

Dammit, girl, you got more snow than we did! I too wasn't thrilled about the idea of stepping out in the wet cold, so Sara and I watched the snow fall from the front porch of our building. Tried to walk out for her to enjoy the snow falling on her, but nearly slipped on the slush. Ah well, better than nothing. 

- Hsin

12/30/2004 01:43:00 AM  

Oh, you've got snow in Tokyo! I was expecting a White Christmas in DC, but it's so warm this year. I hope Libby enjoyed the snow on the banks of Tama River. 

- Lynn

12/31/2004 05:06:00 AM  

Hey Lynn...you're in DC? So am I, I have never met one of Rachel's post-Montreal friends before we should totally get together and swap stories. 

- Jaime

1/06/2005 05:27:00 AM  

Oops, Jamie, am back in Tokyo already. You from the DC area?

heh, heh, am wondering what kind of stories will surface from Rachel's past. 

- Lynn

1/06/2005 09:50:00 AM  

There will be no stories "surfacing!" Nothing hidden or shady in my past--right, Jaime? Right?  

- Rachel

1/07/2005 12:30:00 AM  

Fine, fine...no stories, certainly none about Latin class, or the laziness induced by that damn hill up to res...to quote Rachel, "sigh". 

- Jaime

1/07/2005 06:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment