14.12.04

Hua Hin


While I was in Singapore a few weeks ago, I also made a short trip to Thailand, landing in Bangkok and then driving to Hua Hin with some family friends. Hua Hin is a little beachside town about two hours from Bangkok, not much to see or do, but the weather was lovely and hot, and I managed to snap some shots while we shopped for lunch at the local market.



Assorted Variety of Eggplants (and bumpy little bitter gourds at the top left-hand corner)



Ocher Pyramids of Dried Shrimp (apologies for tilty angle)


Just a handful of these little guys lends an intense flavor to any number of dishes, such as stir-fries.



This is a steamer, on top of which has been ladled a thin mixture of rice flour and water. The amber lumps of candied peanuts will soon be enfolded in the delicate, slightly chewy crepe.



At this little stall on wheels, a woman is preparing a dessert of grilled green bananas that are then smushed between two metal plates and dunked in a creamy concoction of coconut milk and gula melaka (dark brown palm sugar), before a final grilling.


I was really excited to try this because I adore cooked bananas, and don't those bananas look plump and lovely?


Unfortunately, I wasn't crazy about the type of banana used. Some green bananas turn succulent and sweet when cooked, but these did not. The cooked banana had a dry, leathery texture, necessitating regular sips of water to help wash things down. Ah well, the anticipation had been fun.


« Home | previous post: Vancouver - It's Been a Long Time » | previous post: Okara Donut » | previous post: So Far So Good » | previous post: Neighborhood Tree » | previous post: I Do Hereby Solemnly Swear » | previous post: The Best Bits » | previous post: I'm Back » | previous post: No Blogging for a While » | previous post: When My Mind Says Yes But My Stomach... » | previous post: Fruitcake »

7 Comments:

Tell me more about the crepes! That looks really interesting. 

- Lynn

12/15/2004 09:03:00 AM  

Sorry, Lynn, I'm not much of a rice crepe expert. I just reported what I saw. Anything specific you want to know about them?  

- Rachel

12/16/2004 10:09:00 PM  

Well, I am just curious what it tastes like. I used to eat this crepe-like dessert in Beijing when I was little. It's more like a sandwich, with two pieces of round rice crepes. In the middle is a mixture of sweet stuff (not sure what) and nuts. I wonder if the Thai version is similar 

- Lynn

12/17/2004 10:47:00 AM  

Well, this was more soft and insubstantial--not really sandwich-like. The crepe, when cooked, was simply folded like a little parcel, small enough to be eaten in one bite.  

- Rachel

12/23/2004 01:44:00 AM  

The food pix are amazing. All the colours. Yeah, half the time the food and the preparation looks better than the actual taste of the final product. Looks like you had fun though. 

- Hsin

12/27/2004 02:33:00 PM  

Thanks for the compliment, Hsin-Li! I'm actually not a great photographer, so it's rather thrilling to have my pictures praised.

I did feel a little guilty that I wrote absolutely nothing about Bangkok or Hua Hin but merely focused on the food. Unfortunately, food was the only thing that really captured my attention this trip. 

- Rachel

12/27/2004 07:49:00 PM  

Ah Rach, see I promised to visit your blog, am having a slow morning at work...shh...

I was in Bangkok in March, and I have to say there's one word to describe Thai food - intense. Most things I ate were either intensely salty, intensely sweet or intensely spicy. But I LOVE it! I tried that crepe thingy, the version I had was a small crispy crepe folded into half, with shredded coconut in the middle, some sugar and an orange-colored shredded 'something', I couldn't really tell what it is, maybe it's sweet potato or something?

And I had the most fun eating porridge on the side of a road in Bangkok, with cars brushing by, a few times I wondered if the porridge was worth risking my life for, but it was...hehe... 

from Nan

6/03/2005 12:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment