3.12.04

So Far So Good

Look how healthily I started my day:


That says All Bran, for those of you unfamiliar with the sight of those tasty little twig-like bran thingies. You know what? They're pretty good, if you don't let them sit more than about five seconds in the milk, because after that, the bran just gives up the fight and expires into a not-so-pretty brown sludge that may or may not trigger your gag reflex.

Still, it fits in well with my vow to eat healthier and I feel so fortified after my dose of bran that, now, it seems I am almost justified in my ongoing 1001 Arabian Curry Puff Nights. Okay, they're not Arabian, but when I first opened the box of homemade curry puffs that I was probably forced to break Japan Customs regulations carrying back from Singapore, it sure looked like there were 1001 of them. At first my husband didn't seem too keen on them, so what's a girl to do but eat those delicious curry puffs? I mean, we're talking fresh curry leaves, people. But of course this also means I've been eating puff pastry on a daily basis. I'm sure there's going to be repercussions, but hopefully I will counter them with my...drum roll..ALL BRAN!

Furthermore, the 1001 nights have sort of dwindled to a mere 10 nights, so pretty soon I'll have to come down from this fat high.

As for Vow #2, the No Speaking to Thy Husband in English vow, I have augmented this to include Edward because (a) I do sort of talk to him; and (b) I figure the more I think and babble in Japanese, even if only to a dog, the more my mind will get into The Zone, The Japanese Zone.

Unfortunately, Edward only knows a few choice Japanese phrases like, "Onaka suita?" That means, "Are you hungry?" And also, "Tabenai!" or "Don't eat that!"--this one I use frequently when we are out on walks and strange things find their way down Edward's throat, thus forcing me to reach in and drag said objects back out, regardless of what said objects might be. Today, for example, I successfully extracted a dead fish. When the neighborhood feral cats feast on the park pidgeons, I have to be on guard or Edward will try to gulp the leftover bones.

What was my point? Oh yeah. Anyhow, so Edward isn't used to me speaking in Japanese to him, and I was given this look in response:


Which was rather sad, so I made an exception for Edward and asked him properly, "Do you want to go for a walk?" And he said:



« Home | previous post: Neighborhood Tree » | previous post: I Do Hereby Solemnly Swear » | previous post: The Best Bits » | previous post: I'm Back » | previous post: No Blogging for a While » | previous post: When My Mind Says Yes But My Stomach... » | previous post: Fruitcake » | previous post: Autumn, Thy Name Is Big Jerk » | previous post: Ingredients: 125g Sugar in Dust... » | previous post: Sudden Flashback »

7 Comments:

I don't know how you can eat that All Bran stuff. Looks like twigs. Cardboard twigs. There must be something healthy that looks more appealing, no?

And Japanese to Edward. Keep trying. Our old dogs back home were trilingual - English, Bahasa and Hakka! Edward will get the hang of you speaking Japanese pretty quickly. 

- Hsin

12/03/2004 11:32:00 PM  

Testing 

- Rachel

12/06/2004 03:54:00 PM  

I swear, I actually sorta enjoy All Bran--when it's still crunchy. The trick is to sprinkle just a few twigs into the milk at a time, not giving them a chance to get milk-logged.

Wow, okay, if your dogs can understand hakka--jeez, I can't even speak it, even though my dad's side is hakka--then surely Edward can get used to Japanese.  

- Rachel

12/06/2004 03:57:00 PM  

Wow, tri-lingual dogs, I'm not even properly bi-lingual myself All you canines out there put me to shame (sniff, sniff) 

- Jaime

12/10/2004 03:58:00 AM  

I like All Bran too, but Rachel is right, you have to literally inhale them before they turn soggy. Of course, if I had a choice between All Bran and the bran muffins made out of All Bran, I'd go with the muffin. 

- Lynn

12/10/2004 11:02:00 AM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12/13/2004 05:03:00 PM  

Jaime, I know! I had the exact same mortified thought about myself and my pathetically limited linguistic abilities!


Lynn, I'm so glad someone is backing me up here about the All Bran. Do you, perchance, also enjoy Raisin Bran as well? Love that stuff.

Hmmm, All Bran muffins sound wonderful, but I fear that making them would sort of counteract my whole All-Bran-Instead-of-Muffins-for-Breakfast plan.  

- Rachel

12/13/2004 05:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment