1.9.05

Where Did I Go?

It's quite possible I previously wrote something like, "Blah blah blah, gone for two weeks, blah." I can't quite remember. It was so long ago. Regardless, this is a good time to drive home the lesson that you should question everything I say and never believe I mean any of it. That's me in a nutshell: lots of promises and good intentions but zero follow-through. And I really did mean to blog all about my trip right after I got back. But then all sorts of other things began demanding my attention--like the fleas running wild and free through Edward's fur and dropping thousands of eggs all over my home. Yeah, that was a nice experience to come home to.

I am sorry I didn't give any much warning about the going-away part. It kind of crept up on me too. And suddenly it was the day of our flight, and I was like, “Oh dear, I haven't started packing,” and then, “Oh crap! I haven't finished compiling my hand-written notes on all the places where I want to eat!" (We don't have a printer.)

Anyhow, let's take advantage of my rude and sudden departure—ahem—two weeks ago and play a quick game. Do you know the Where Are You? contest held by Condé Nast Traveler? I thought we could have our own thrilling contest. However, instead of luxurious prizes, you'll have to settle for the near-instant gratification of finding out the answer as soon as someone guesses it or I grow tired of waiting for someone to come visit my seemingly dead blog and just give the answer away. Yay, right? Also, I'll give you more than one picture clue and I'll skip the smug little descriptive passage that is supposed to steer you in the right direction.

Okay, let's get started with photographic Clue Number One:


Hoho, this is so much fun, n'est pas?

Dare I admit I'm subjecting you to this game because although I had a nice time, I really don't feel like writing about it, travel writing holding very little appeal for me?

And still I forge onward with Clue Number Two:


I know, even I can't tell much from this picture. But the colors are so soft and pretty. Ahhh.

Clue Number Three is humongo. I mean, if you can't guess after seeing this one... well, I'll just have to keep going until you scream and beg me to stop.


(Note: I do not know who those two little people are.)

You know, don't you. Really, I need for you to know, because if I keep going with all these high-resolution images, there are people for whom this page will never load. Ever.

Okay, Clue Number Four, and this one will surely give it all away.


(Yet another note: No, Edward did not go on holiday with us. But he quite obviously recreates the setting of where we were.)

So. In shameless imitation of the Condé Nast contest... Where was I?

« Home | previous post: Going Away » | previous post: Ripples » | previous post: Consumed by Marriage » | previous post: Been a Mad, Mad Girl » | previous post: Tanabata » | previous post: Hidden Depths » | previous post: Reassessment » | previous post: Sob Story » | previous post: Life's Little Updates » | previous post: Star Wars, Episode III »

7 Comments:

I have no idea where you went, I'm just glad you're back. I miss your hysterical posts.

By the way, I'm the type who cheats when doing crossword puzzles etc., and look up the answer if I can't figure it out in a nanno second. So I hope someone else guesses quickly. It looks very intriguing 

from Ruth

9/02/2005 04:08:00 AM  

Welcome back!!!
I also have no clue where you were, but it sure looks like a desert to me. A desert where they have nice sunsets and wear necklaces of heavy black beads! (Onyx? Steel?)

The Creme-Brulee Desert? (It looked all cracked like that... plus there's the whole desert/dessert wordplay... oh yeah, if you *explain* it, then there is no chance of it being funny anymore. Dang.)

Anyway, so happy to have you back, Rachel. :-) 

from Jessica

9/02/2005 05:06:00 AM  

well, it looks like lava flow in one picture, and surely those are not a string of giant flea eggs your poor little pooch is dragging around on his neck, and given the fact that you're in japan, it must be....hawaii. the big island? 

from rae

9/02/2005 06:03:00 AM  

i don't know where you went either, but welcome back.

9/02/2005 09:37:00 AM  

Can't figure it out by the life of me. Welcome back though, from wherever you went. 

from Ana

9/02/2005 11:42:00 AM  

I vote for Hawaii.

9/05/2005 10:23:00 AM  

Yup, you're right, Obachan! 

from Rachel

9/06/2005 01:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment