13.11.05

Left Behind



This appears to be a shot of Edward going, "See, I hardly take up any room, so you have no reason to leave me behind," but it's actually yet another photo where he's wondering if he can move yet. Sad to say, I don't think Edward really cares if we go away and leave him with my in-laws--he *loves* his granny and gramps. He's not going anywhere however because, this time, I too have been left behind.

My dear salaryman husband has been sent to America on business until Christmas. Depending on how busy he is, I may or may not fly over to keep him company. But for now, I'm trapped at home by a two-week work commitment. Sigh.

It's funny, I'm often alone for the majority of the day and evening, but knowing there's no one coming home tonight has made the apartment seem deathly still. I miss you, honey. Yesterday night, we bought ice cream after walking home from dinner--during which we had the most delicious oysters; one large, plump one each; so fresh and full of the tangy smell of the ocean, I wanted to stick my nose in the shell and just snuffle all night (they were so beautiful, I took a picture with my husband's cell phone camera, but then forgot to upload it before he left). When we got home however, I found I was too full to eat my ice cream, so now I've got it sitting in the freezer. It seems rather lonely to have the caramel sundae by myself, somehow.

I've also decided that while my husband's away, I'll probably be sleeping on the couch, though not so much for sentimental reasons. Our bedroom has already turned frigid with the change in seasons (bad insulation, for those of you not in the know), and I don't seem equipped with enough solo heating power to make the bed a bearable place. I recently huddled, shivering between the icy sheets, for an entire hour before I gave up and dragged myself and my blankets into the much-warmer living room.

« Home | previous post: A Cake and a Website » | previous post: Saveur Magazine -- What Happened? » | previous post: That Magic Lid » | previous post: A Villain's Soliloquy » | previous post: Japanese Hot Cakes » | previous post: What Became of the Bird? » | previous post: Cruel Nature » | previous post: How to Dress for a Japanese Funeral » | previous post: Catching Up » | previous post: Disappearing Act »

9 Comments:

Ahhh, I would share your ice cream if it weren't for the fact that I'm so far away.

11/14/2005 11:03:00 AM  

Aw, Jane, I know you know would, too.

Remember when we were in Whistler, having dinner with the girls, and some of you professed to never having tried an oyster before? Were you one of them? I think it was Erin who said, "Eh, could live without them." That was such a shame. Those were *not* the right oysters for a first-timer. The oysters I mention above however--I wish you girls could have tried those. I can't describe the experience without getting badly poetic, but suffice it to say that it honestly smells and tastes like fresh ocean and it is *goood.* 

from Rachel

11/14/2005 01:38:00 PM  

Awww... I'm going to be abandoned for a week as well. I find that a heated bedwarmer and a microwaveable teddy bear go a long way to replace a missing husband. Not completely, but enough to get some sleep ;) And Rachel,if I could help you with the icecream, i would!

11/15/2005 01:51:00 AM  

I had tried oysters but only once when I was like 10 years old. I didn't like them then but the ones in Whistler weren't bad...maybe it was because I absolutely soaked mine in lemon juice. Still waiting for an oyster that can do it for me without accompaniment though.

11/15/2005 05:37:00 AM  

hang in there, rachel. whenever i'm left behind, i find i have the tv on all the time, especially at night. makes me feel not so lonely. at least you have edward.

11/15/2005 01:29:00 PM  

Try a hot water bottle. It is like having another small furry animal in the bed. Though that might confuse Edward, if he sleeps with you that is.

11/15/2005 02:43:00 PM  

Oh, I forgot to mention - if I lived closer to Japan, I'd be a dog-napper. Or at the very least, an Edward-napper. He's SO DARN kawaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

11/15/2005 08:28:00 PM  

That's the cutest picture I've ever seen!

11/20/2005 01:00:00 PM  

Hi Shammi,
Is your week of abandonment over yet? I'm still sleeping on the couch, but I've gotten accustomed to having the apartment to myself. I even ate my ice cream sundae... alone!

Jaime,
Now is the perfect season to try oysters again.

Hey dexygus,
Yep, the TV has become my night-time companion. It's a bit dangerous because I'm the type that never watches TV but once I turn it on, I cannot stop.

Hi eachmachine,
Nope, poor Edward is not allowed in the bed--and both times he's gotten fleas, I've been pretty darn glad I never changed that rule. There is something insanely not right about my bedroom that even an electric blanket cannot truly combat. The couch is pretty comfy. I'll survive.

Hi LisaSD,
You can find more goofy pictures of Edward on the About Edward page and in the gallery. Enjoy!  

from Rachel

11/24/2005 11:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment