17.3.05

Finally: "Music in My Kitchen"

I was tagged a loooooong time ago by Lynn of To Short Term Memories to continue a chainish thing called Music in My Kitchen, which I'd quietly observed moving through the food bloggerverse and felt confident would not come my way since I do not have a food blog. Well!

I took so long cause I got sidetracked by a recent trip and then I got bombarded by work and okay I'll stop stalling already. I do love music--listening to it and belting it. I just don't feel like I know enough to actually write about it. But since I was asked...

What is the total amount of music files on your computer?
About 240,425 KB. (Does this mean anything to anyone?)

What was the last CD you bought?
Brahms Ein Deutsches Requiem (conducted by Kurt Masur) -- I'm not a classical music buff, and I probably never would have heard of Brahms Requiem if not for my choir teacher in college, but this is good stuff (do you see why I don't try to write about music?). Well, the music is heady, the emotions are palpable, and when we performed it, I got goosebumps.

What was the last song you listened to before reading this message?
Dave Matthews Band - Crash Into Me

Write down five songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you:
1. Bruce Springsteen - Streets Of Philadelphia. Every time I listen to this song, both the lyrics and Bruce's gently despairing voice always get me.

2. Tracy Chapman - The Promise
There's nothing melodramatic or complicated going on here. It's simple and tender, nice.

3. Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman - Come What May (Moulin Rouge soundtrack)
I just like hearing Ewan McGregor sing the first two lines, to be honest. I'm not actually a big fan of Mr. McGregor, but I like how his voice sounds here--tentative and heartfelt, and hearing it always makes me go awwww.

4. Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now (2000 recording)
The original was okay, but this later version is how the song was meant to be: from Joni's completely transformed voice--aged, a little worn--to the more lyrical, thoughtful pace and the orchestral accompaniment.

5. Roberta Flack - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
I have to admit, if you're feeling sad, I don't know if listening to Roberta would be a good idea. Even her happier songs just aren't...well...very happy. This song isn't tragic, I don't think, but to me there's a somber quality to the music. There's also reverence, perfectly captured in Roberta Flack's quiet style.

Who are you going to pass this on to (3 persons) and why?
Jessica of What, you too? because I'm curious what music she likes and I don't think she'd mind getting tagged, right Jessica? (Yes, I know I'm ignoring the "3 persons" part and keeping this chain outside the food blogging world.)

« Home | previous post: Con-spirit-cy » | previous post: O Canada! » | previous post: Away for a Couple of Weeks » | previous post: Viewing Pleasure » | previous post: Because of Edward » | previous post: Quick! Use the Ricotta Cheese! » | previous post: A Mad World » | previous post: Doom, Gloom, and the Yaki Imo Man » | previous post: Cold Comfort » | previous post: Fuwa Fuwa Soy Milk Cakey »

3 Comments:

Hi Rachel, I'm in!! I am honored that you are breaking the rules for me. :-) I will get right on this.  

from Jessica

3/18/2005 03:10:00 PM  

Hey, you didn't forget!

Ditto for Ewen McGregor, loved him in Moulin Rouge.  

from Lynn

3/18/2005 03:28:00 PM  

Hey Jessica, I knew I could count on you! Technically, I'm not so much breaking the rules as perpetuating the breakage, since this blog isn't a food blog either.

Lynn, I did take forever to get around to doing this, didn't I. 

from Rachel

3/21/2005 02:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment