7.5.05

Frost Bites


Though I recently wrote about ice cream in Japan, I thought it rather abominable that I never provided photographic evidence of what one might find at one's neighborhood convenience store. I thus took it upon myself to rectify the situation.

A few nights ago, with the midnight munchies upon us, my husband and I stood waffling before the cooler of a 7-Eleven--no, in truth, my husband is one of those annoying individuals who only needs to scan a selection once before making up his mind about anything; it was thus just me doing all the waffling. I couldn't decide whether I wanted (a) the mint chocolate ice cream bar studded with chunks of caramelized almonds, (b) a swirly soft-creamish thingy, or (c) the Haagen-Dazs Berry-Berry Parfait.



Well, naturally, I wanted all three, but for some reason that doesn't seem allowed in real life; I don't know why.

My husband, who does not endure waffling--particularly mine--very well, hastily steered me toward (c), the parfait, using brilliant, irrefutable logic: it looked the most fun.

Well, his assessment turned out to be quite accurate. It was berry, berry fun! And berry, berry yummy! (Sorry, I'll stop now.) As I broke through the frosty strawberry surface with my spoon, I felt like a geologist exploring the strata of Planet Barbie...which does not sound delicious at all, but rather conjures up shiny, beige rubber flesh. Don't think about that. Quite simply, it was all very pink, but in a good way. Here's the breakdown:


« Home | previous post: » | previous post: No Ordinary Cherry » | previous post: A New Genre of Fiction » | previous post: » | previous post: Who Goes There » | previous post: Not Progress Exactly » | previous post: Chicken Stew -- Singapore Style » | previous post: Satellite's Eye View » | previous post: Taking the First Baby Step » | previous post: If only I could erase those paddle boats from the... »

13 Comments:

Mmm... shiny, beige rubber flesh parfait.. yum. You have me laughing out loud again. Rachel! 

from jessica

5/07/2005 04:41:00 AM  

Oops, I accidentally replaced a would-be comma with a period just now, and it sort of changed the message around a bit. Rachel!

5/07/2005 04:42:00 AM  

Oh drool...that looks so delicious! I am always envious of people living in Japan. You have the most incredibly cool and yummy stuff! I have never seen parfait icecreams in the convenience stores in Ontario. This post was great!! It also had me laughing out loud as well. ;) 

from Tea

5/07/2005 06:52:00 AM  

No vanilla-caramel-almond ice cream? Pity! Love your pictures though! 

from Ana

5/07/2005 09:37:00 AM  

I'm glad I made you laugh. Jessica!

Tea, it's true there's a lot of good food in Japan. I'm happy. Hee.

Ana, you know what? I think there is a vanilla-caramel version, as well as a green tea parfait. I'll have to try both of those as well, purely for the sake of research and reporting back to all of you, of course.  

from Rachel

5/08/2005 11:57:00 PM  

I don't know why, but looking at that strawberry parfait makes me crave for Ben & Jerry. Don't they have a cherry flavored something with a funky name? Think I'll go to Giant and check. 

from Lynn

5/09/2005 04:25:00 AM  

Green Tea Parfait....hmmm kinda hard to imagine that one. 

from Jaime

5/09/2005 10:08:00 PM  

Lynn, don't be horrified, but I'm not terribly familiar with Ben & Jerry's. Though I'm sure they have a flavor for *everything*!

Jaime, I'm not sure what they combine with the green tea ice cream, but it can't be bad in my book. I LOVE green tea anything.
 

from Rachel

5/10/2005 12:27:00 AM  

Hey Rach, you are actually quite right with that "everything" part. After reading your post, I went to Giant, and found a B&J flavor called "Everything but the..." It has: vanilla heath bar crunch, NY Super Fudge chunk, peanut butter cup, white chocolate chunks, chocolate covered almonds, AND both vanilla and choc icecream. Yummy! Then to tone down this madness, I also got Pistachio Pistachio (pistacho flavored icecream with pistachio in it). Ahhh, why don't they have B&J in Japan?  

from Lynn

5/10/2005 02:59:00 AM  

Oh my god, is there any space left for ice cream?? I'd bet you anything B&J isn't popular here because there's just too much going on. It goes against the whole zen minimalist thing. How would crazy flavors ever win over a country that has milk-flavor ice cream? 

from Rachel

5/10/2005 06:13:00 PM  

Looks good, but I have to say talking about green tea ice cream really makes me want some.... not so easy to come by here in Toronto. I'm sure some Japanese restaurants might have, just not your regular local ice cream or gelato shops.

http://onceuponafeast.blogspot.com/  

from Ruth

7/17/2005 12:28:00 PM  

Hi Ruth,

That is a luxury of living in Japan--green tea flavored things everywhere! And I did try the matcha version of this parfait and it was good.

Have you thought about simply purchasing a tin of matcha and creating something green and scrumptious of your own? Green tea tiramisu is absolutely delicious.  

from Rachel

7/20/2005 11:36:00 AM  

Yeah I loved when I visit the relatives in Japan get to find so much green tea flavored items. Wish they had a little bit more in America.

6/01/2008 09:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment