2.5.05

A New Genre of Fiction

I couldn't resist dropping into the fairly new Maruzen* bookstore near Tokyo Station the other day--an entire floor of brand-spanking-new English books (swoon!)--and as I was scanning the labeled aisles divided by the usual genres of fiction, I was both exasperated and mildly amused (but not annoyed) to note that "Harry Potter" has been added to the ranks of mystery, science fiction, and romance. Oh, please!

And while I'm on a roll here, what is up with The Whole World Loves Norah Jones? Someone please explain this baffling phenomenon to me. Her nasal voice gives me the willies, her music style--Sesame Street does country--unfortunately monotonous. Last, I've never heard Ms. Jones sing anything that sounds remotely like jazz. You may not believe this, but I don't actually enjoy being mean; but I just don't get it: what's with all the Norah love? And enough with the Grammys!

Maruzen Marunouchi
B1F-4F Marunouchi OAZO
1-6-4 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo Station
Tel: (03) 5288-8881
Hours: 9am - 9pm daily

« Home | previous post: » | previous post: Who Goes There » | previous post: Not Progress Exactly » | previous post: Chicken Stew -- Singapore Style » | previous post: Satellite's Eye View » | previous post: Taking the First Baby Step » | previous post: If only I could erase those paddle boats from the... » | previous post: Posting Multiple Pictures » | previous post: Dark Chocolatey Cookies » | previous post: Blogger.com, Please Don't »

3 Comments:

Rachel, I don't love Norah Jones! I really don't have any strong feelings about her whatsoever.  

from jessica

5/02/2005 05:41:00 AM  

Her debut album wasn't too bad. Can't say I'm any leading authority on great music and considering that I don't think Kylie's half bad either, you may want to take my opinion with a huge spoonful of salt. Anyway, I do wonder about this whole business of jazz - her music is more folksy, if you can call it that. But I do agree that it does get monotonous after a while - the songs all sound the same.

Now Robbie Williams... he's a whole different league. *drool* 

from Hsin

5/02/2005 10:19:00 AM  

Darn, I was kind of hoping I'd find someone else who detested Norah. Ah, well. I guess I'll have to be lone dissenting voice on this one.
 

from Rachel

5/05/2005 01:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment