What's That Word...?

Is there a word for the moving, rippling reflection made by light on water? Seeing as it's the way the light shimmies and undulates on the reflected surface that captivates me, attempting to capture a still image is ridiculous, but I find the sight so hypnotic that I can't resist.

« Home | previous post: Breakfast Memories » | previous post: Frost Bites » | previous post: » | previous post: No Ordinary Cherry » | previous post: A New Genre of Fiction » | previous post: » | previous post: Who Goes There » | previous post: Not Progress Exactly » | previous post: Chicken Stew -- Singapore Style » | previous post: Satellite's Eye View »


There is something much better than a word for it... there is a paragraph that brings it to life, and two photos that let all of us in on the secret. :-) 

from jessica

5/12/2005 12:57:00 AM  

Aw, thanks, Jessica. Still, was kinda hoping someone would pipe up and say, "Actually...!"  

from Rachel

5/13/2005 02:15:00 PM  

how about "chiaroscuro" ( the interplay of light and shadow on or as if on a surface) or "coruscate" (to give off or reflect light in bright beams or flashes)

As in, the light coruscates over the surface in a watery chiaroscuro...

or you could use the two year old approach and just point and say, "ooooh, pretty!" (this works best if you are jumping up and down while doing it) 

from kitchenmage

5/21/2005 06:28:00 AM  


from Moss

5/21/2005 03:48:00 PM  

Moss and kitchenmage, I'm amazed by the both of you. Did you know these words off the top of your head? How humbling.

kitchenmage, if I want to keep things simple, I'll try to remember to jump up and down.


from Rachel

5/21/2005 08:11:00 PM  

jumping up and down is good...

...obscure words, yes I knew them off the top of my head--occupational hazard of writers... i know more obscure words than i can think of a use for--it' handy for pop trivia quizzess on blogs, though :-)

caustics is good, moss... and truly obscure!

from kitchenmage

5/24/2005 02:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment