16.6.05

Solution to Expandable Post Problem

Latest Update: Great big apologies: I left out one </span> in Step 2 below. I've since added this missing </span> in bold coral pink--you can't miss it.

Previous posts:
September 2004 - Wrote to Blogger Help but it's been days and still no word. Was wondering if anyone knows how to prevent the "Read more here" link from appearing after every single post. I just want it to appear for posts where there actually IS more to read. Ho hum.

16 June 2005- Help from Blogger Help never came. Or, do I recall receiving a message to the effect of, "There is no solution. Live with it."--yeah, maybe that was it.

Anyhow, you may or may not have noticed that I figured it out. Not by myself, but with the aid of the excellent Blogger Forum. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the original thread *, so I am going to have to actually use my brain and attempt to recollect what the heck I did, because Obachan asked, and I'm something of a sucker for a call for help (even if my assistance if often of the incompetent, and sometimes even erroneous, variety). Heh, now you are all terrified to take my advice, yes?

Sadly, I'm all you've got--believe me, I Googled. Okay, let's begin, class [mwa ha ha!].

  1. Go to your blogger Template. Right before </style>, paste the following:

    <MainOrArchivePage>
    span.fullpost {display:none;}
    </MainOrArchivePage>

    <MainOrArchivePage>
    span.shortpost {display:none;}
    </MainOrArchivePage>

    <ItemPage>
    span.fullpost {display:inline;}
    </ItemPage>


  2. After <$BlogItemBody>, paste:

    <MainOrArchivePage><br />
    <a href="<$BlogItemPermalinkURL$>">Read more!</a>
    </MainOrArchivePage></span>

  3. Save your template and republish the blog.


  4. Go to Settings, then Formatting, then scroll down the page to find Post Template. Whatever you type in this text box will appear in each new draft. Type in:

    <span class="fullpost"></span>

    and (in the following line to prevent confusion):

    <span class="shortpost">.


  5. Here comes the extra work. When you click Create (new post), you'll see both <span class="fullpost"></span> and <span class="shortpost">.

    If you write a short post, and don't want the "Read more!" link, then erase <span class="fullpost"></span> from your draft and make sure <span class="shortpost"> is at the very end of your post.

    If you write a long post, then erase <span class="shortpost">. Paste <span class="fullpost"> where you want the "Read more!" link to appear, and paste </span> at the very end of your post.

Make sense? God I hope so.

I really am incompetent when it comes to HTML and coding however, so if you follow my directions and things don't work out, I truly recommend asking someone over at the Blogger Forum. The people over there are very nice and almost all my blogging questions have been answered by them.

*I did find a different thread, but the person's suggested solution sounded a lot more complicated than what I do, so I think my way is better.

« Home | previous post: Questions that Cause My Brow to Crinkle Adorably » | previous post: Slow Sweet Sips » | previous post: Crack That Whip! » | previous post: Anthropomorphism My Ass » | previous post: For Your Amusement » | previous post: Removing Melted Plastic » | previous post: Lilly Pads » | previous post: A Rape Victim Who Became a Hero » | previous post: I Don't Think I Can Think of a Title for This One » | previous post: Amy's Rustic Italian Bread »

10 Comments:

Not sure if this is the solution. Was playing with the tabs on mine. Go to "settings" then "site feed", under "descriptions", is it set to "full"?

9/14/2004 10:26:00 PM  

It is. Well, I guess I'll just have to wait for dear Blogger Help to get back to me. Thanks for trying to help, though!

9/14/2004 10:37:00 PM  

Rachel,
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!! Yes, it worked!! You’re a lifesaver! Sorry that I didn’t go to the Blogger forum myself … I didn’t even know there was such a forum. You are really great, Rachel. I’m sending all my love to you from Kochi. \(^▽^)/
xxxxx 

from obachan

6/16/2005 06:15:00 PM  

Fantastic Rachel. I'm going to do this. From what Obachan wrote, it does work.

Funny that when I got this information from Blogger Hacks, I thought that it was crummy that it did put the "read more" everywhere. But since these are templates, I thought we were stuck with it and did not give it another thought.

Thanks for the research work. 

from Ana

6/16/2005 11:37:00 PM  

Oooh, I'm simply basking in all the gratitude and love. I'm just relieved and happy that my explanation made sense.

If anyone has any other questions, please ask. I'm always happy to share my vast stores of knowledge and wisdom.
 

from Rachel

6/17/2005 05:38:00 PM  

Rachel, thanks for doing all the work! I've been meaning to find out how to do this "more" thing, because my original template does not allow this. I'm going to try it, and hopefully not every one of my entries is going to go on forever on the main page. 

from Lynn

6/20/2005 03:27:00 PM  

Lynn, why didn't you just ask me?

Heheh, okay, now that I've revealed I actually forgot a critical piece of code, I guess I understand why you'd try to find a more reliable source first. Actually, the link I provided in this post provides an alternate way of doing expandable posts. It's a bit more work but probably problem-free--something I can't guarantee about my solution.  

from Rachel

6/21/2005 01:13:00 AM  

Thanks a lot Rachel. I thought I would have to spend quite some time to learn Javascript. 

from Rohith

7/03/2005 07:45:00 AM  

No problem, Rohith! 

from Rachel

7/04/2005 12:32:00 PM  

Whenever I type the second part of the code (the one after the blogItemBody, everything in my main column disappears. I guess having expandable post isn't for now as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for trying to help.  

from Cindy

10/11/2006 04:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment