16.2.06

To Sit or Not to Sit

Just got back from the bathroom and thought I'd share some unwanted personal information. Whenever I have to work at an office, I make an agreement with myself that, for the duration, I will allow myself to really sit on the toilet. See, I am one of those girls who ordinarily will not let my butt make contact with the seat of a public toilet. I just sort of... hover. You may roll your eyes if you wish, but I've seen too much pee on toilet seats -- and once, when I was pretty little, I had the traumatizing experience of plopping down on the seat and making splashy contact with someone else's urine. It was every bit as gross as it sounds.

You know what really bugs me? In the movies or TV, when a female character who is upset about something goes into a stall and sits down on the toilet without even looking, and then usually puts her head in her hands. Just ew. And distracting.

« Home | previous post: Office vs. Home » | previous post: Rachel and the Mystery of the False Advertising » | previous post: Every Squeeze of My Heart » | previous post: Been Up To » | previous post: Creeping Back » | previous post: Being in Singapore » | previous post: California Pictures » | previous post: Palo Alto » | previous post: First Stop, California » | previous post: Japanese Pumpkins and Homemade Applesauce »

7 Comments:

i had to comment because the subject matter is most close to my purell hand-santizing-liquid heart. the last time i sat on a toilet seat outside of my home was in 1988 when i drunkenly collapsed in mid "hover" and landed inside the bowl. yes, inside. wedged. mr. toilet was conveniently missing its seat. and yes, it was in a bar. excuse me, i must sanitize my hands now.

2/17/2006 02:41:00 AM  

rachel, you're gross. i like that.

i am an on and off hoverer. not sure why.

at a bakery i used to work at, a co-worker got horribly offended when he found out i hovered. "we're like family! you don't need to protect yourself from us!"

2/17/2006 10:35:00 AM  

I can't believe I'm about to divulge this in such a public forum... I can't go when I hover... well, I can, but it takes too long and my legs aren't up to the workout.

2/17/2006 10:45:00 AM  

Rae! I may not be a purell girl exactly, but I am a bit of a priss about toilets. And the image of you inside a toilet bowl...poor thing. Okay, maybe I need to go sanitize my hands also.

Dexygus, I can be grosser. But, in relation to what I wrote in a recent post, when I know there are people out there (with sensibilities more genteel than my own), I do feel compelled to practice a little self-restraint.
Your story about the bakery co-worker and what he said was so sweet and funny--aw, you hurt his feelings. Regardless of what I wrote in this post though, not to be sexist (though it is) but my little addendum that makes allowances for office toilets does not extend to unisex bathrooms, I'm afraid.

Cathy, oh dear, you must work on developing those hovering muscles. Or perhaps you live in a place with exeedingly clean public facilities? Lucky girl, if you do. But what about when you're traveling--esp. to Asia or, heck, any Chinatown for that matter? This could lead to seriously problematic situations. I'll pray for you.  

from Rachel

2/18/2006 03:12:00 AM  

hahahaha... glad to know of more fellow-hoverers! It's good to belong... :)

2/19/2006 02:29:00 AM  

See, this is why I love blogging (w/ comments). How else would you find your own fellow band of hoverers?  

from Rachel

2/19/2006 12:16:00 PM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/19/2006 03:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment