4.3.06

Minimiam

When I was a kid, I was such the sucker for miniature things. I still remember watching a documentary about an insomniac who spent his nights painting unbelievably detailed landscapes on long-grain rice with a single horse hair and feeling like my nine-year-old heart was about to explode with happiness and want (oh, how I coveted that rice). I soon outgrew this bit of madness, as it did not fit with my increasing dislike of knickknacks. But I suppose there is a part of my heart that still melts, just at the corner, when I see a neat and tiny version of something: baby shoes, petit fours, bonsai (not "BAHN-zai," my husband corrects me, bristling with irritation at the way my West Coast-Midwest accent slaughters the familiar word).

And now, thanks to a post by shaz of nook bistro, I've just seen something that surpasses microscopic paintings on rice grains: minimiam, itty-bitty plastic figurines arranged on regular-size food in some very funny compositions. My two favorites are the mountain climbers scaling a Mont Blanc (complete with confectioners' sugar flurries) and the soldier who detonates a grenade on a pomegranate, resulting in smoking, exploded fruit and a number of toy soldier casualties. The creators of minimiam are photographers Akiko Ida and Pierre Javelle, who do a lot of work for food magazines and cookbooks.

Unfortunately, the minimiam website is a bit of a pain to navigate, so if you don't have the time or patience to fiddle around, you can view most of the pictures on these two pages of the blog that shaz originally linked to. But then you miss out on the titles and some of the photographs.

So which is your favorite?

« Home | previous post: Ask, and you shall receive; seek, and you shall fi... » | previous post: To Sit or Not to Sit » | previous post: Office vs. Home » | previous post: Rachel and the Mystery of the False Advertising » | previous post: Every Squeeze of My Heart » | previous post: Been Up To » | previous post: Creeping Back » | previous post: Being in Singapore » | previous post: California Pictures » | previous post: Palo Alto »

6 Comments:

I find miniature things cute too... y'know those little bottles of wine - half-portions, my husband calls 'em - they're just SO adorable! :)

3/04/2006 05:01:00 PM  

PS. I liked the watermelon guys best :)

3/04/2006 05:06:00 PM  

those are amazing! I like deux sucre, there is just something about the poor woman standing on the edge of the saucer. You can see what she's feeling! The ice skating is beautiful though, I like that you can see the traces on the metal.

3/05/2006 09:31:00 PM  

Hi Shammi! Yeah, I liked the details in the watermelon picture too.

Hi B! Aren't they incredible? I know what you mean. Even though they're just little plastic toys, somehow the composition of the photos really convey or project the emotions of those toys.  

from Rachel

3/07/2006 10:57:00 PM  

hi hi. thanks for visiting my blog. drop by again! I'm sure to drop by here.... cheers 

from shaz

3/09/2006 08:55:00 AM  

i really dig the watermelon guys but the chocolate miners are pretty too. i wonder where they find those little figurines...

3/14/2006 11:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment